Quiche Lorraine must be the most popular savory pie ever – a timeless classic perfect for any occasion. Just like the original recipe, this low carb quiche is made with bacon, Swiss cheese, caramelized onion, cream and eggs. The pie crust is gluten-free and low-carb so it won’t spike your blood sugar.
Once you make the pie crust, you can add the filling and have the quiche ready in less than an hour. A tasty Holiday breakfast pie your family and friends will love!
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 1/3 cup flax meal (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk powder (8 g/ 0.3 oz)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee or coconut oil (56 g/ 2 oz)
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 1 large white onion, sliced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp ghee, butter or lard (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 6-8 slices uncured bacon, sliced (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 3 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (150 g)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240 ml/ 8 fl oz)
- 3 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the dry ingredients – the almond flour, flax meal, psyllium powder, and salt. Add the butter cut in pieces.
- Using your hands, combine the dry ingredients with the butter. Add water and mix until well combined.
- Place the dough in a plastic wrap and flatten using your hands. Place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F. Place the dough directly into a non-stick pan with a removable bottom and press up the sides using your fingers to create a “bowl” shape, at least an inch tall, so it can hold the filling. Use a dough roller or wet your hands if needed. Ideally, use a baking sheet as lining for the bottom of the pie pan to ensure that the crust doesn’t get stuck to it.
- Place baking paper on top and use ceramic baking beans to weight the dough down. You will need them to prevent the dough from rising and creating air bubbles. Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down. Remove the baking paper with the ceramic beans. If the center seems too moist, place back in the preheated oven (switched off) just to dry it out.
- Preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Peel and slice the onion and place in a medium pan greased with ghee. Once hot, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until fragrant for about 5 minutes. Add the sliced bacon and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until the onion is golden brown and the bacon crisped up. Once cooked, take off the heat.
- Spoon the onion and bacon into the pie crust and sprinkle with grated cheese on top. Mix the cream and eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour it evenly on top of the grated cheese.
- Place the in the oven and cook for about 25 minutes or until golden and set. Once done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.