Spring is on the way, and with it comes the delicious flavors of rhubarb. This red stalky vegetable isn’t around for very long so grab some while you can. It’s delicious in all sorts of recipes and it’s very low carb. These Rhubarb Cardamom Muffins are a great way to showcase that tart-sweet rhubarb flavor.
Low Carb Rhubarb Cardamom Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup unflavoured whey protein or egg white protein
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 large eggs
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with 12 parchment or silicone liners.
- In a small bowl, toss the rhubarb with 2 tablespoons of the sweetener and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, remaining sweetener, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. Stir in the eggs, butter, water, and vanilla until well combined.
- Stir in the chopped rhubarb. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups and bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden and firm to the touch. Remove and let cool completely.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.