Many cultures have their own version of egg drop soup. This low carb Roman classic, known as Stracciatella, is a shining example of Italian simplicity. Just a few ingredients combine in vibrant ways. A generous portion has barely 200 calories, and less than one carbohydrate, but will fill you up for hours. High quality ingredients will make an immense difference here, and be sure to use a luscious and savory homemade stock or bone broth to take this dish to another level.
Low Carb Roman Egg Drop Soup (Stracciatella)
- 1 quart chicken stock or bone broth, preferably homemade
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano, split
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, bring stock up to a bare simmer.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl. Whisk or beat with a fork until well combined and frothy.
- Mix parsley and one tablespoon of Parmigiano into eggs.
- With the stock still at a bare simmer, slowly drizzle in egg mixture.
- Turn off heat, and lightly agitate with a fork or spoon, breaking up clumps of egg.
- Season to taste with plenty of salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with remaining fresh Parmigiano and give each bowl a light drizzle of good olive oil.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.