Snickerdoodles are an American classic. But it took me a while to figure out that they weren’t just some cinnamon sugar cookie with a fancy name. It’s that cream of tartar that gives these cookies their tangy flavor. Or in this case, gives these low carb snickerdoodle muffins their unique tangy flavor!
- 2 cups almond flour
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (or an additional cup almond flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp granulated sweetener
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For the muffins, preheat oven to 325F and line a muffin pan with 12 silicone or paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener, protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Stir in eggs, melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Divide batter between prepared muffin cups. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until set and golden brown. Remove and let cool.
- Brush the tops of the muffins with melted butter. Combine the granulated sweetener and the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over top.