Sweet hazelnut snack with a kick! A touch of cinnamon and some cayenne pepper take hazelnuts to a whole new level. If you can’t find a brown sugar substitute, try using regular erythritol with a teaspoon of molasses. It won’t raise the carb count at all but will still give a lovely caramel flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar substitute (such as Swerve Brown)
- 1/4 cup granulated erythritol sweetener (such as Swerve)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cayenne pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (if you like them saltier!)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and spread the hazelnuts out on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast 10 minutes, then remove and let cool 10 minutes. Rub the hazelnuts between your fingers to remove as much of the skins as possible.
- Line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sweeteners and the water. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the sweeteners are dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter. The mixture will bubble a little. When it subsides, stir in the hazelnuts, spices, and salt. Stir to coat all of the hazelnuts.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on the baking sheet, spreading them out so they don’t stick together. Let cool completely.