I’m a rhubarb hoarder. I love this tart stalky vegetable and since it’s only available in spring, I find myself buying pounds of it, chopping it up, and freezing it for future use. I do this every spring and lo and behold, I suddenly discover I’ve got several bags of it that I need to use up.
These popsicles were a suggestion by my youngest, who loves my homemade strawberry rhubarb sauce. She mentioned the idea on a hot walk home from school and I instantly knew I had to do it. My only regret is that I didn’t make more! But I still have a few bags of rhubarb in the freezer…
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 tbsp water
- Powdered sweetener equivalent to 6 tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, water, and 3 tablespoons of the sweetener. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit is soft enough to be mashed up, about 5 minutes.
- Mash with a fork or potato masher, then set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whip the cream with the remaining sweetener and the vanilla extract. Once the rhubarb mixture is cool, fold it into the whipped cream gently, allowing some streaks to remain.
- Spoon the mixture into your popsicles molds and place wooden sticks in each. Freeze at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
- To unmold the popsicles, run hot water over the outside of the mold and gently tug on the stick.