The holidays are almost upon us and it’s time to up our appetizer game. Stuffed mushrooms are always fun and easy, and make a great finger food option. This low carb recipe skips the bread crumbs and just fills the mushroom caps with the good stuff: plenty of sausage and cheese!
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 medium crimini or button mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the sausage, breaking up any clumps, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese, Parmesan, basil, and garlic and stir to combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the mushroom caps with the avocado oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Place the mushroom caps top down on the prepared baking sheet. Scoop a little of the sausage mixture into each cap, pressing it down into the cavity.
- Bake 20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is bubbly. Sprinkle with a little chopped parsley or basil. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.