Poke joints are popping up all over America these days, but it’ll never taste better than homemade, especially with the freshest tuna that your fishmonger can recommend. Skip the rice and add a luscious portion of avocado, not exactly traditional but a superb match for the salty, tangy, spicy seasonings. Lime, raw onion and scallion offer deep flavor without driving up the carb count. Poke is a remarkably flexible dish and can be easily adjusted by omitting or adding ingredients as you wish.
Tuna & Avocado Poke
- 12 oz raw sashimi-grade tuna, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- ½ ounce sweet onion (about ¼ onion), thinly sliced
- ½ ounce macadamia nuts (about 8), crushed or finely chopped
- sheets nori, sliced into matchstick-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or sriracha
- juice of ½ lime
- Combine all
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.