This simple Mediterranean chicken recipe from Gluten Free Goddess is one of our favorites. It’s simple to prepare, colorful, and works well in any season – even during the warm summer days. Serve it with brown rice or quinoa.
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- 3-4 large, ripe bell peppers, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup organic balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 4 fresh cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian Herb Seasoning
- 4 fresh organic free-range split breasts of chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the onion and pepper slices in a large bowl. In a large measuring cup, fork-stir your sauce using: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, broth, chopped garlic, and herbs. Pour the sauce over the sliced peppers and onions and toss well to coat.
- Place the split chicken breasts in the bottom of a baking pan sprayed with olive oil. Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the balsamic onion and pepper mixture over the chicken and arrange them evenly. Use every last drop of sauce. Loosely cover the pan with a piece of foil and place in the center of a pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes or so. You want the chicken to be cooked through (no longer pink inside) and the peppers to be limp and soft. I checked the chicken after 30 minutes and spooned the sauce all over the onion, peppers and chicken breasts (to keep it moist) and continued to bake it until everything was melt-in-your-mouth tender.
- Photo courtesy of Gluten Free Goddess