In Boston’s North End, the Italian district, there are two rival pastry shops right across the street from each other. Mike’s Pastry and Modern Pastry. Both of them sell an amazing selection of cannoli and you are either a diehard Mike’s fan or a Modern fan. You can’t be both. Admittedly, I only ever tried the cannoli at Mike’s and it was, of course, delicious. Now that traditional cannoli is off limits, I get my fix in other ways. Like these adorable low carb vanilla mini cannoli cupcakes with sugar-free ricotta frosting.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup unflavoured whey protein powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 ounce cream cheese, softened
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar (powdered or liquid work best here - granulated will result in a gritty frosting.)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp powdered sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 325F and line a 24-cavity mini cupcake pan with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, whey protein, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with the sweetener until well combined. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, then beat in the almond flour mixture. Add the cream and water and beat until full incorporated.
- Divide the batter among the prepared mini cupcake liners. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until the cakes are firm to the touch but haven’t browned much on top.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the ricotta until smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with the sweetener until well combined. Beat in the ricotta and the vanilla extract until well combined. Beat in the heavy cream 1 tbsp at a time until a frosting consistency is achieved.
- Pipe or spread the frosting on the cupcakes. Sprinkle each with a few chocolate chips and a little powdered sweetener.