It’s strawberry season! Thankfully those sweet red berries are low carb and pack a serious nutritional punch. Especially when they are fresh and local, as opposed to being trucked in from California. These little mini low carb cupcakes are a great way to showcase your local berries. They are great for backyard BBQs and the kids love them!
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Sweetener equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Sweetener equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar (powdered sweeteners work best here)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 16 strawberries cut in half, hulls still attached
- Preheat oven to 325F and line two mini cupcake pans with 32 paper liners (if you only have one pan, you will need to work in batches).
- Add strawberries and lemon juice to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. You should get about 1 cup puree (measure this out exactly for the recipe).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with sweetener until smooth and well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract, and then beat in half of the almond flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl and beaters as needed.
- Beat in 1 cup strawberry puree, then beat in remaining almond flour until well combined. Divide batter among prepared cupcake pans and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Remove and let cool completely.
- Beat cream with sweetener and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread on cooled cupcakes and top each with half a strawberry.