Are you looking for a special Fourth of July recipe? This one isn’t red, white, and blue, nor is it a traditional all-American dish. It is, however, simple, sophisticated, and delicious. The combination of incredibly flavorful lamb with sweet but tart apricots should impress your family and your guests. Happy Fourth of July!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp smoked sweet or plain paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus some for seasoning
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 t tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 24 (1-inch) chunks
- 4 fresh apricots, quartered
- 8 (9-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients, except for the lamb and apricots. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the marinade. Add the lamb to the bowl, and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring the lamb to room temperature. Prepare your grill or heat a grill pan to medium-high. Lightly oil the grates or pan.
- Add the apricots to the reserved marinade and toss them lightly. Thread 3 chunks of lamb and 2 apricots onto each skewer, alternating the meat and fruit.
- Season the lamb with kosher salt, then grill it until it is just cooked through and still pink in the center, about 3 minutes per side.