I have an obsession with cooking chicken thighs this way now! This is similar to my Caprese Chicken, and I have about a zillion more ideas of how to “smother” chicken in this manner… ;)
A seriously easy recipe that only requires you to smother chicken thighs in mushrooms and cheese. Could there be anything better? Well, maybe if you added some bacon, but I will leave that part up to you. with a green salad or some roasted broccoli, this makes the perfect low carb meal.
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 5 to 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- reheat oven to 350F. In a large sauté pan, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place skin-side down in hot pan and cook until nicely browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and place thighs in a single layer in a ceramic or glass baking pan.
- Add remaining butter to pan and let melt, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and sauté quickly to coat with butter. Sprinkle with a little additional salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are brown and tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon mushrooms over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling and chicken is cooked through. Turn on broiler for 2 to 30 minutes to lightly brown the cheese.