Have a New Year’s Day breakfast or brunch all prepared the day before, then you can stay out late celebrating New Year’s Eve without any worries about food for the next morning. Go ahead and sleep in!
This is a great recipe to play around with, adding whatever veggies, meats or cheeses that your family enjoys but it is perfect just the way it is too.
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded divided
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 7 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups cooked ham, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups half and half or whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Black pepper, to taste
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle bottom of the pan with the mozzarella cheese and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar.
- In a large skillet melt butter oven medium heat; add in sliced mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture, about 10 minutes. Add in green onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the cheese, then sprinkle the chopped ham over the mushroom mixture.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and cayenne (if using) until thoroughly blended; pour evenly over the ham. Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese (or to taste) and return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.