Who needs noodles when you have finely shredded cabbage? It’s low carb, packed with nutrients and adds just the right texture and flavor to Asian dishes. This particular dish features pork tenderloin, eggs, and shiitake mushrooms stir fried with shredded cabbage in a spicy sauce. It’s flavorful and satisfying enough that you won’t miss the noodles or the rice.
Pork, Mushroom and Cabbage Stir fry (low carb)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp cooking oil, divided
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together water, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, arrowroot starch and pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add pork and stir-fry until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pork to a plate.
- Add eggs to pan and cook until just set, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate with pork.
- Add remaining oil and stir fry mushrooms with a little salt and pepper until tender. Transfer to plate with pork.
- Add shredded cabbage to the pan with a little more salt and stir-fry until tender and slightly wilted, but not soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Return pork, eggs and mushrooms to the pan. Add sauce and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
How many carbs? I keep seeing low carb recipes, but they don’t give the carb count?
This was so yummy!! Made it tonight with three (minor) substitutions: I had pork chops I needed to use, so I cut up the meat thinly and sauteed them as instructed. I had button mushrooms instead of the shiitake. And I added a tsp of fish sauce. The rest was as written and it turned out delicious!
Great recipe, thank you. Would it be possible to include serving size and carb count?
It’s actually on Carolyn’s home page on this post’s page: Serves 6. Each serving has 9.5 g of carbs and 4.2 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.3 g.