I was in Italy last month for the Milano City Marathon. As you might imagine, there were tempting high carb foods everywhere I looked. There were plenty of foods I had no problem resisting, but on my last evening there I gave into myself and ordered risotto in a lovely little restaurant. The risotto was absolutely delicious, but nothing I would ever make at home, simply because I don’t eat rice. I decided, though, to make a low carb risotto using quinoa. I can’t say that quinoa is a perfect rice substitute – the two are quite different. However, quinoa risotto is no less wonderful. The addition of sun-dried tomatoes and peas to quinoa risotto – a bit of an unlikely combination – is surprisingly good. Overall, I’m extremely happy with the way this quinoa risotto with sun-dried tomatoes and peas turned out. I believe it will become a regular dish in my home.
- 2 cups white quinoa
- ½ small onion, minced (about 1/3 of a cup)
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup uncooked frozen peas, defrosted (fresh peas work as well)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes container)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 cups broth (I used vegetable broth , but a chicken broth will work as well.)
- Heat the broth in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter with olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it begins too soften and turn translucent. Do not let the onions brown.
- Add the quinoa and stir well for about 1 minute, making sure the quinoa is coated. Start adding the simmering broth, half a cup at a time, stirring frequently. Wait until the broth is almost completely absorbed before adding the next half-cup. Make sure to stir frequently.
- When the last ½ cup of broth is almost completely absorbed, add the sun-dried tomatoes and the peas and mix well.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and the Parmesan cheese and stir very well.
- Turn the flame off, cover the pot and allow the quinoa to steep for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.