This oatmeal is so delicious and nutritious you’ll want to eat it for every meal, but breakfast is probably best. You can customize it to your liking – switch fruits, or change the quantity of each ingredient, or even use low-fat instead of no-fat dairy products. I used to add salt, cinnamon and Splenda or Truvia, but I started leaving them out and discovered I didn’t miss them.
You can make a few portions of oatmeal ahead and store in refrigerator or freezer, then reheat.
- 1 tsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1 –2 tbs ground flaxseeds
- About 6 small cut pieces of Granny Smith apple
- About 1/4 cup berries
- 1 tbs no-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tbs Fage plain 0% yogurt
- 1 tbs peanut butter
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 2/3 serving of Trader Joe’s steel cut oats, or another slow-cooking or steel-cut oatmeal
- Cook the steel cut oats.
- Fill small bowl with the sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds (start small and build up), apple and berries.
- Add the cooked oatmeal and mix.
- Top with cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter and almond butter.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
Why are you using dairy products when dairy is acid forming and not part of the “caveman” diet?. You would be better off the use coconut milk\cream or almond milk as well as coconut butter\oil. Are oats considered a grain? You can make this same recipe with Quinoa as well.