This oatmeal is so delicious and nutritious you’ll want to eat it for every meal, but breakfast is probably best. You can customize it to your liking – switch fruits, or change the quantity of each ingredient, or even use low-fat instead of no-fat dairy products. I used to add salt, cinnamon and Splenda or Truvia, but I started leaving them out and discovered I didn’t miss them.
You can make a few portions of oatmeal ahead and store in refrigerator or freezer, then reheat.
- 1 tsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1 –2 tbs ground flaxseeds
- About 6 small cut pieces of Granny Smith apple
- About 1/4 cup berries
- 1 tbs no-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tbs Fage plain 0% yogurt
- 1 tbs peanut butter
- 1 tbs almond butter
- 2/3 serving of Trader Joe’s steel cut oats, or another slow-cooking or steel-cut oatmeal
- Cook the steel cut oats.
- Fill small bowl with the sunflower seeds, ground flaxseeds (start small and build up), apple and berries.
- Add the cooked oatmeal and mix.
- Top with cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter and almond butter.