I will never understand why some people object to eggplant. Because it’s really quite unobjectionable. It has very little flavor unto itself, but it takes on the flavors of whatever other foods it is paired with. Eggplant is essentially a blank slate, waiting for you to work some magic on it. Go on, work some caprese magic on it! And this roasted eggplant caprese is delicious!
Roasted Eggplant Caprese
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise as evenly as possible into 5 slices
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 10 slices
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 10 slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, packed
- Lay the eggplant on a tea towel and sprinkle both sides with salt. Let sit one hour to release moisture. Pat dry with another tea towel. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Lay the eggplant slices on the pan and brush the top side with the remaining oil. Sprinkle with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top each slice of eggplant with 2 slices of mozzarella and 2 slices of tomato. Bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Remove and sprinkle with chopped basil. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.