Meatballs are always a huge hit in my house, but most recipes contain unnecessary gluten and carbs. Replacing the bread crumbs with some almond and coconut flour helps bind these chicken meatballs and make them far healthier. Some roasted garlic gives these chicken meatballs a great flavor and they are perfect served over zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil, if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil for frying
- Preheat oven to 400F and cut top off head of garlic to expose the tops of each bulb. Remove outer skins of garlic head, but keep bulbs intact to the base.
- Place garlic head on a sheet of foil and drizzle with avocado oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast one hour. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Use your fingers to squeeze out garlic from each bulb into a small bowl. Mash with a fork.
- For the Chicken meatballs, preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and mashed garlic paste. Mix well to combine.
- Form into 1 & 1/2 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium, heat 2 tbsp butter or oil until melted. Add half of the meatballs, turning to brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Repeat with remaining butter or oil and remaining meatballs.
- Serve over zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower.