adapted from Williams-Sonoma Healthy Cooking.
I had a frustrating trip to the grocery store last weekend. My daughter was being fussy, I had left my grocery list on the kitchen counter at home, and no matter where I went in the store, I seemed to be crashing into someone or going against traffic.
It felt like I was swimming upstream, so naturally I picked up some salmon for dinner.
Salmon is the fish trifecta. It’s easy to find, full of nutritional value and bursting with flavor.
The tanginess of the chive sauce calms down the cayenne rubbed into the salmon. I personally like to pair this dish with brown rice and a green veggie.
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped dill pickle
- 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped drained capers
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, each about 6 oz and about 1-inch thick
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Fresh dill sprigs and lemon slices, for garnish
- To make the chive sauce, in a small bowl, combine the chives, yogurt, pickle, mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers, salt, and pepper. Using a whisk or fork, stir together until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour; bring to room temperature before serving.
- To prepare the salmon, in a small bowl, combine the dill, lemon zest, paprika, salt and cayenne. Rub each fish fillet with ½ teaspoon of the oil, then rub with the dill mixture, coating the fillets evenly. Transfer to a plate, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Coat a large nonstick frying pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, place the salmon fillets in the pan and cook, turning once, until the fillets are well browned and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To serve, transfer the fillets to a warmed platter or individual plates. Garnish with dill sprigs and lemon slices and accompany with the chive sauce.