These crackers are mighty tasty- especially if you’re generous with the seasonings. I used Trader Joe’s Roasted Garlic and Organic Italian Herbs to create kick-ass flavor.
Savory Grain-Free Cracker Recipe
- 2 cups fine almond or pecan meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon minced roasted garlic, to taste
- Pinch of dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Herbs, to taste
- Pinch or two of turmeric or paprika for color
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar or agave
- 1 cup very finely grated aged Parmesan (I used a microplane grater)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons spring or filtered water, as needed
- 1 beaten egg white- or omit for vegan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until a moist, moderately sticky dough forms. Add more water or oil if you need it.
- Taste test. Adjust seasonings to your taste buds. If it needs it, add a tiny pinch of sugar to offset the salty flavor.
- Using oiled hands place the mound of dough on the parchment and flatten with the palm of your hand. Use oiled palms and fingers to press the dough out evenly and quite thin. If it cracks, simply press back together with moist fingers.
- Bake in the center of a hot oven for 15 minutes or until the dough is set and golden.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack. When the dough has cooled, cut the dough into pieces using a pizza cutter. Or break apart for random jagged pieces.
- The crackers will be extremely tender and breakable while they are warm. Allow them to cool completely before handling.
- Store in an air tight container. They are not super crisp – they’re more like a cookie texture, and quite tender, and best of all very flavorful.
- If you prefer a crisper cracker, bake briefly before serving. Keep an eye on them so that they don’t get too browned.
- recipe and picture by © Gluten-Free Goddess at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.