Recipe courtesy of Savvy Vegetarian for Diabetes Awareness Month
This stock recipe can be made a day ahead, or simmered all day in the crockpot.
Savvy Vegetarian’s Soup Stock Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- Handful parsley, with stems
- Potato peelings if you have them
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary leaves
- 6 dried peppercorns
- Optional: 2 inch piece dried kombu seaweed
- Optional: handful scallion tops or chives
- Optional: 2 whole garlic cloves
- NO SALT
- The carrot and celery are essential, but any other ingredients you don’t have, no worries, just leave them out.
- Coarsely chop the carrots and celery, and combine all ingredients in a large crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Strain through a large seive and store in quart or pint containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
- This recipe is a contribution for Diabetes Awareness Month to show diabetics, and everyone else, that eating healthily doesn’t mean having to skimp on taste.
Copyright © 2009-2016 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.