From Delicious Diabetic Recipes: The Gourmet Cookbook for a Healthy Life
The flaky coating in this dish contains lots of dry herbs and very little salt. You can replace the herbs listed below with your own favorite selection. The Dijon-style mustard helps the herbs adhere to the chicken. Note that some types of this mustard have a grainy texture that is suitable for sauces but not recommended for this recipe which works best with a smooth variety.
Sesame and Herb Chicken Fingers
- 10 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole sesame seeds
- Four 4-ounce chicken breasts, cut widthwise into 1-inch strips
- ¼ teaspoon Atlantic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smooth Dijon-style Mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a small plate, mix together parsley, basil, nigella, and sesame seeds.
- Season chicken strips with salt and pepper; then brush each strip with a thin layer of mustard.
- Dredge chicken strips in mixed herb coating to cover both sides. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until ready.
*Photo by: Michael Aviad
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.