The flaky coating in this dish contains lots of dry herbs and very little salt. You can replace the herbs listed below with your own favorite selection. The Dijon-style mustard helps the herbs adhere to the chicken. Note that some types of this mustard have a grainy texture that is suitable for sauces but not recommended for this recipe which works best with a smooth variety.
- 10 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole sesame seeds
- Four 4-ounce chicken breasts, cut widthwise into 1-inch strips
- ¼ teaspoon Atlantic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons smooth Dijon-style Mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a small plate, mix together parsley, basil, nigella, and sesame seeds.
- Season chicken strips with salt and pepper; then brush each strip with a thin layer of mustard.
- Dredge chicken strips in mixed herb coating to cover both sides. Transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until ready.
*Photo by: Michael Aviad