The name Etouffée refers to “smothering” the seafood with a heavy sauce. I sub out the rice with cauliflower rice and use Swerve instead of the sugar in a traditional Etouffee dish to make this very low carb yet super tasty Shrimp Etouffee.
- 3 TBS coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 green sweet bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 TBS tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TBS whole basil leaves
- 1 TBS whole thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled
- “Cauliflower Rice” or Miracle Rice
- In a 4 quart or larger slow cooker add the oil, onions, bacon pieces and salt. Turn slow cooker on high and caramelize the onions until golden and very soft, for about 1-2 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to low-medium and add the remaining ingredients, except the shrimp and rice. Cover and cook for 2-6 hours (the longer, the more the flavors will open up).
- Add the shrimp and cook for 30 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through and are no longer translucent. Place the mixture onto a beautiful serving dish and garnish with green onions. Serve over Miracle Rice or “cauliflower” rice.
- To make the “cauliflower rice,” cut the cauliflower into pieces and pulse in a food processor until small pieces of “rice.” TIP: You can also use the heart of the cauliflower for rice, or use for making “French Fries.” Set aside “rice.” (TIP: can do this up to 2 days ahead of time and store in fridge for easy lunch/dinner options).
- Stir fry in a TBS of coconut oil (and desired spices/salt) for about 3-5 minutes or until cauliflower pieces are done to desired liking.
Maria Emmerich has teamed up with ASweetLife and low carb food bloggers, Mellissa Sevigny and Carolyn Ketchum to create a perfect World Diabetes Day dinner. Join us each day this week for mouth-watering recipes. A spectacular dessert recipe will be posted on World Diabetes Day, along with the kickoff of our Le Creuset giveaway. Stay tuned!