This quick, simple vegetable broth recipe is a great substitute for meat and chicken based broth. Other than washing and chopping vegetables, there isn’t much work involved. The result is a fragrant, rich vegetable broth that makes an excellent base for soups, rice, risotto, or quinoa.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 leeks, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- A few sprigs of parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 15 cups water
- Place the vegetables in a large stockpot. Add water and set over a high flame. Cover and bring to a boil. Let simmer for one hour.
- Strain the broth and use immediately or refrigerate for several days.