Cooking a cake in your slow cooker is not only easy but results in an amazingly moist, dense consistency. It’s more like an old-fashioned steamed pudding and it doesn’t need much more than a bit of whipped cream on top for garnish. As since we are entering holiday season, I thought a slow cooker gingerbread was in order.
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour or sunflower seed flour
- 3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger (or more, if you like it really gingery)
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup almond milk or water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (if using sunflower seed flour – helps keep it from turning green)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease the ceramic interior of a 6 quart slow cooker well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour or sunflower seed flour, sweetener, coconut flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, cloves and salt.
- Stir in melted butter, eggs, almond milk or water, lemon juice if using, and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Pour into prepared slow cooker and cook on low for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until set.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream. It also makes a great breakfast treat with a little smear of butter!