Though a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese used to be one of my favorite foods, I’ve accepted the fact that bagels don’t mix well with my diabetes. It’s no surprise. One bagel can have as many carbs as four slices of bread. A whole wheat Bruegger’s bagel has 61 grams of carb. A Dunkin Donuts multigrain bagel has 65 grams of carb and contains high fructose corn syrup! A whole grain bagel at Panera Bread has 67 grams of carb. (Apparently that myth about all the carbs falling out through the hole in the middle just isn’t true.)
But you what doesn’t have carbs? Smoked salmon and cream cheese. And when I wrapped my head around that, the smoked salmon and cream cheese roll came to be. Now brunch is still the traditional brunch I love – smoked salmon and cream cheese -without a carb-loaded covering.
- Smoked salmon (3-4 strips per person)
- Cream Cheese
- Take a strip of salmon and spread on a cutting board. Carefully spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the salmon.
- Then carefully roll the salmon into a roll.
- Cut the roll with a sharp knife into half inch slices.
- Then do it again and again and again.
- It’s hard work but worth it.