Easy comfort food is the name of the game when a big feast like Thanksgiving is looming on the horizon. All this pork stew requires is popping everything into the slow cooker and setting it on low. You don’t even need to brown the meat because it will be shredded right at the end.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless pork chops or country-style ribs (try to get something with some fat on it, for better flavour and tenderness)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups peeled cubed rutabaga
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chill powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 lime wedges
- Combine all ingredients in a large 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. In the last half hour of cooking, remove pork and transfer to a cutting board. When it is cool enough to touch, shred with your fingers.
- Add back to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve each with a squeeze of lime.