Recipe courtesy of Horizons for Diabetes Awareness Month
Spanish Tomato-Artichoke Soup with Peas
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 15 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pinches saffron threads
- 1 dash cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 medium leek, washed and cut into thin rings
- 2 (12-ounce) jars artichokes, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1 red bell pepper, very finely chopped
- ½ cup sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the leeks, artichokes, peas, red pepper, sherry, and extra virgin olive oil, and simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Let cool slightly and then puree with an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Return the puree to the heat, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with a fresh splash of sherry and the extra virgin olive oil.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
Horizons: New Vegan Cuisine available on Amazon.com