I love green food. I always have. I was the kid who liked broccoli, spinach, squash, and brussel sprouts. My perfect quick meal is sauteed spinach with onions, olive oil, cheese, and 2 eggs. Basically the filling for Spanakopita, Greek spinach pie. Here is my version of a spinach pie using an almond flour pie crust.
I use feta cheese made from Sheep’s milk, Valbreso Feta, imported from France. I’ve been able to find it at my local QFC, and many cheese sections carry this brand.
If you eat lactose-free cheese, use dripped yogurt that has been fermented for 24 hours. Also, add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the cheese. As an FYI, many hard cheeses, including swiss and cheddar, have little to no lactose (milk sugar) left in them by the time they are done being processed. Sheep and goat cheeses are usually easier to tolerate when you are lactose intolerant.
- 7 ounces of cheese (feta cheese, dripped yogurt, or Parmesan work in this recipe; if you use dripped yogurt, add about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt to the recipe)
- 10 ounces of chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or more)
- 2 eggs
- Spices are optional (dill, pepper are good)
- 3 cups of almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the crust by combining all the ingredients in a food processor, or combine by hand.
- Press pie crust into pie dish or tart pan.
- Bake the crust for about 10 minutes, or until it starts to lightly brown.
- Sauté the chopped spinach and onions in olive oil until the onions are beginning to look clear.
- Turn the heat off and add the eggs and cheese to the spinach mixture. Blend well.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes, or until the egg and cheese are baked into the pie.
- Enjoy! I store this pie in the refrigerator for a week and reheat slices at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Text and images reprinted with permission.
- ©2008-2009 by Erica Kerwien. All rights reserved.