Did you hear that Starbucks is now offering coconut milk as a dairy-free milk option? Sounds like a great healthy option, doesn’t it? Not so fast, friends. The coconut milk they are using contains plenty of added sugar, along with some other unsavories you may not want to consume. And you have to ask yourself, why on earth are they using this stuff, when real coconut milk is delicious and thick just the way it is? Give Starbucks a run for their money with this delicious low carb Vanilla Bean Latte. I found I didn’t even need to sweeten mine to enjoy all the great flavors.
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk (or more coconut milk, but it has more carbs)
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1/4 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1/4 cup strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- Sweetener to taste (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine coconut milk and nut milk.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds with a sharp knife. Add seeds and pod to pot. Add cardamom seeds.
- Bring to a simmer and then remove from heat and cover. Let steep 15 minutes. Strain milk to remove solids and froth with an immersion blender. Or transfer to a large blender and process until frothy.
- Divide between 2 mugs and add coffee and sweetener to taste. Sprinkle with ground cardamom as a garnish.