Not everyone likes cilantro, but for those who do, here is a healthy, nutrient-dense salad that works well as a light side dish on a summer day. The flavors are strong and distinct, yet refreshing. Walnuts are rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids. And some studies have shown cilantro is helpful in reducing blood sugar levels. If you enjoy the taste of mixed fresh herbs, this salad will win you over.
- 2 generous cups cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 generous cups flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of one lime (or substitute with lemon)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the cilantro, parsley and mint leaves in a salad bowl.
- Place the walnuts in a plastic bag and crush the them using the handle of a knife or any other blunt tool. Make sure not to overdo it.
- Add to the salad.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a shaker.
- Shake well and pour over the salad.