Not everyone likes cilantro, but for those who do, here is a healthy, nutrient-dense salad that works well as a light side dish on a summer day. The flavors are strong and distinct, yet refreshing. Walnuts are rich in protein and omega 3 fatty acids. And some studies have shown cilantro is helpful in reducing blood sugar levels. If you enjoy the taste of mixed fresh herbs, this salad will win you over.
Walnut and Cilantro Salad
- 2 generous cups cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 generous cups flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of one lime (or substitute with lemon)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the cilantro, parsley and mint leaves in a salad bowl.
- Place the walnuts in a plastic bag and crush the them using the handle of a knife or any other blunt tool. Make sure not to overdo it.
- Add to the salad.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper in a shaker.
- Shake well and pour over the salad.
Copyright © 2009-2021 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.