Zucchini noodles have become a quick favorite in our house, and not just because they are low carb. They’re quick and easy to prepare, and contrary to recipes you may have seen in the past, don’t require any fancy spiralizing tools- a citrus zester will work just fine! Paired with sweet shrimp and creamy goat cheese, the zucchini noodles make a delicious bowl of comfort food.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 oz raw shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- 14oz can diced tomatoes
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 400gm grated zucchini (from about 3-4 zucchini)*
- 2 oz goat cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the shrimp and garlic.
- Cook the shrimp for about 1 minute on each side, until just opaque. Remove the shrimp from the pan. Add the tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and basil.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and sauté over medium heat until slightly softened, about 3 minutes, then add the shrimp and heat through, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Serve with crumbled goat cheese.
Ironically, I find it completely un-useful for citrus zest and much prefer a microplane zester for that. But it’s absolutely perfect for zucchini noodles!
*Photo courtesy of Cara Lyons. For more recipes like this one visit Cara’s Cravings.