A Rollercoaster of a Race

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0

A few weeks ago, before running the Nike Night Run, I decided to sign up for a 15K race, the same one I ran last year. I didn’t think I would be running very well but after the good time I had last year, I decided it would be fun to do it again and that it would keep me motivated. I also really liked the race jerseys they were giving out.

For the last few weeks I’ve been running well and regaining my speed. What I haven’t regained is my stamina. I’ve been running 40-45 miles a week but have felt very depleted during my few longer runs (13 miles).

On Thursday I talked to my coach and told him I didn’t know if I should try to set a new personal record or just run for fun. He told me I should go for it.

I had it all planned out. Most of the race is flat but the first two miles, which are also the last two, are hilly with the second mile being a long down hill run on the way out and a (much longer) mile-long climb on the way back. So unlike most races where you start slow and speed up at the end (negative split) here most runners have a positive split, running the first half faster than the second.

But on Friday evening when I should have been getting ready to eat dinner, I received a call to report to my army reserve unit. It has been a while since I’ve been called up and I didn’t think it would happen again. Jessica cried as I packed my things. I decided to disconnect from my pump and go back to shots until I returned.  I left for my base an hour after receiving the call.

Many of the guys on my base were surprised to see me, thinking I had been discharged for good (Jessica had thought this, too). I went to work loading equipment onto Armed Personnel Carriers (APC). I checked my blood sugar a few times while there. It was high. I wasn’t surprised because I had no basal insulin. I took a unit or two and went back to work. At around 10:00 p.m. I finally decided to take 10 units of Lantus. We finished loading the APCs and most of the guys started to organize their personal gear. I waited around wondering what I should do.

At around 1:00 a.m. I caught my company commander and asked him why I’d been called up. He told me it was my decision whether to stay or go. I decided to go home.

I arrived at home at 2:00 a.m. and hooked myself back up to my pump. I hadn’t had any food all day so I decided to eat an apple before going to sleep. I was aware of the extra insulin in my body so when I checked my blood sugar (121), I took less than half the required bolus for the apple.

I set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. planning to make it to the race.

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with a cold sweat, feeling numb and dazed. I checked my blood sugar. I was low – 44. I got up and raided the refrigerator. I’m not sure what I ate exactly but I know I ate a lot of fruit. Then I went back to sleep.

My alarm failed to wake me and I woke up at 6:45 panicked because I had overslept. I was also totally exhausted.  My blood sugar was 212. I got up to go to the bathroom thinking I would return to bed. I actually set a 9:00 a.m. alarm.

But once I was out of bed I felt I would regret not running the race, even if I wasn’t in shape to run well. I had coffee got dressed and rushed out to meet my friends (those who had not been called up by the army). 

I arrived at the race area at 7:45 a.m. and checked my blood sugar it was 205. I met up with my friends and went for a mile and a half warm up. I checked my blood sugar again thinking it would be down to the 150’s, but it wasn’t it was 198. We headed for the starting line. Suddenly I realized I hadn’t reduced my basal rate. I did and then checked my blood sugar again.  It was back up to 209.

I quickly decided I would take some GU Chomps at the 5K water stop which I hoped was enough time to get my blood sugar down to run well, but not too far to plummet. 

I started the race much faster than I planned but, as always, had a hard time slowing down, especially when going down hill. After 5K I started feeling a little tired but decided to try and keep myself at 7:15 minute/mile. I had a hard time but did so up to around the 10th kilometer. Then I started to slow down.

When I reached the mile-long hill I really slowed down. I tried to speed up but I had nothing to give. At one point I looked at my watch and saw my pace was around 8:15. Sh*t I thought to myself, just give it a little more. I made it up the hill and started to run downhill, gaining speed. I tried to make up for lost time but couldn’t run as fast as I would have liked.  

Making a T1 at the Finish line

I crossed the finish line at 1:08:17. My blood sugar was 238.

I was happy to finish but was unhappy with the way I ran the race. I tried to tell myself that the after the events of the night before, it was lucky I finished at all. But that didn’t work (it never does).

When I got home I saw that my official time was 1:08:08, 46 seconds better than my previous time.  This made me feel a little better, but not for long.  The race seemed to have had a delayed effect on my blood sugar. After my blood sugar refused to come down all morning, I spent the rest the rest of the day chasing lows.

Email this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0

Comments (3)

  1. Congrats on the new PB.  I was under the impression that Type1 diabetics were exempt from the army.  I presume that is why I never got called after making Aliya.  A friend of mine turned up at miluim after getting diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes aged 33, told his commander and got sent home immediately never to be called up again.

  2. Michael Aviad at

    @Rob. I was diagnosed at 32, continued to serve for a few years until it became too hard. I never reported it officially although everyone in my unit knew about it. 
    My diagnosis story is up here.

  3. Keren at

    I understand your frustration. I just ran my first half marathon since being diagnosed four years ago, and it was difficult to say the least. What I miss most about running without diabetes, is that “in the zone” feeling whereyou just run and feel it. This long run with the day a bit warmer than I hoped for had me chasing my blood sugar as much as the finish line, but you know what. I finished. and you finished and that really is what counts in running! great job!

Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

***The opinions and views expressed in this blog belong to the individual contributor and not to ASweetLife or its editors. All information contained on this blog is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional or for professional medical advice related to diabetes or another medical condition. Please contact your physician or medical professional with any questions and concerns about your medical condition.